reparations & exploitation

LeoCasey at aol.com LeoCasey at aol.com
Mon Mar 19 14:35:40 PST 2001

Interesting, but I wonder: (a) if it is only full-time college and university teachers, so that the part-time adjunct is removed from the equasion, thus inflating the figure; (b) how much the pre-K and K teacher salary is undercut by the inclusion of very low wage child care workers who work outside of a school setting; (c) where the elementary and secondary school teacher would fall.

As a general rule, K-12 teachers are the most poorly paid professionals with that level of education.

> MEDIAN WEEKLY WAGES, U.S., 1999
>
> all women men
> Teachers, college and university 953 859 1038
> Teachers, kindergarten and pre-K 440 442 *
>
> Maids and housemen 296 289 330
> Janitors and cleaners 324 293 351
>
> - ---
> *too few to provide a statically reliable estimate

Leo Casey United Federation of Teachers 260 Park Avenue South New York, New York 10010-7272 (212-598-6869)

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never has, and it never will. If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation are men who want crops without plowing the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its waters. -- Frederick Douglass --