Exploitation ofa academics (was reparations)

Kelley Walker kelley at interpactinc.com
Tue Mar 20 08:58:08 PST 2001

At 03:17 PM 3/20/01 +0000, Justin Schwartz wrote:
>people who have made these sacrifices and put themselves in a position
>where, as Yoshie remarks, many of them are essentially unemployable in
>anything else, a sort of seniority system.

tenure, as far as i'm concerned has an ethical-political justification: the free speech, knowledge issue. QED! :)

i think the claim that we are only able to do certain kinds of work is a myth -- surely not objectively true. annalee newitz wrote a piece about how the structure of the PhD career is such that it tends to make you think that academia is ALL that you'll ever do. Out of Academia Why do we think that PhD's are only good for making someone into a professor? By Annalee Newitz, from Salon.com http://www.salon.com/it/career/1998/11/06career.html