Exploitation ofa academics (was reparations)

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 20 11:42:39 PST 2001

--but now after 7 years I'm trying to decide whether to return to the academic world to begin a PhD program. Anyone happen to have an opinion on the New School's PhD program in philosophy?)

Do you want a job? Then don't go the New School. I don't say anything about the quality of education you'd get there. It's probably fine. It's just that I bet if you look hard at their placement, it is lousy. If you have a hope for an academic job you really should go to a top 15, and preferably a top 5, program. It's no guarantee: I got my philosophy PhD at Michigan, a top 5 school, and here I am practicing law. I did get a job, but couldn't keep it. If you are interested in "continental" philosophy, it is still best to go to a top 15 "analytical" program where there is someone you can work with on your area of interest. Thus, for example, Berkeley is good on Heidegger. Brian Leiter's rabkings are informative and informed, though somewhat nonstandard. You can find them on the web.