Brown students trash Horowitz

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Mar 20 12:53:09 PST 2001

>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>>No one but media junkies (which most Americans -- unlike
>>LBO-talkers -- are not) will remember the Horowitz incident, the
>>Dartmouth affair, etc. "Playing into the hands of conservatives"
>>doesn't seem to be worth worrying about.
>
>By that standard, most of the things you care about are irrelevant
>too. Most Americans don't give a damn about Lenin or Bataille. But
>is that really the right standard?
>
>Doug

Lenin, Bataille, etc. are interesting (Lenin, politically, Bataille, aesthetically), and I'm trying to make them interesting to my fellow leftists. Horowitz & his likes, in contrast, are boring; not only are their politics obnoxious -- they possess _no_ redeeming aesthetic merit. I can never understand why some LBO-talkers seem to take voyeuristic pleasure in observing the doings of odd Right-Wingers -- especially the ones who were once part of the Left. Here's a case for psychoanalysis. :-)

If you want to read conservatives, why not David Hume, Edmund Burke, Michael Oakeshott, Martin Heidegger, and so on?

Yoshie