adjunct pay whine

Dennis Breslin dbreslin at ctol.net
Tue Mar 20 19:12:42 PST 2001

Kelley Walker wrote:
> .... so, as it stands, i want to finish
> b/c i want to, but also MAINLY as a tribute to Frank Hearn, a man who died
> last year and to whom i owe a great deal: i wouldn't be anywhere right now
> if it weren't for his outstanding work, mentoring and
> conscientiousness....

I didn't know him but Frank Hearn and his brother John are something of legends in the UConn soc dept - a program mind you that has neither much of a collective memory nor many legends. I'm sorry to hear of his passing.

As something of a long-term short-term, full-time part-time, permanent temp teaching sociology, ABD has none of the drawbacks of a PhD, so in the ed biz I'm never overpaid or overqualified and only sometimes over the counter. And I'm never burdened with any of its benefits either. This is life in the margins...

If you stay in or near sociology or academia, the credential matters and its absence is an everpresent pain (in the ...). If you don't, it won't matter. Nonetheless, family, time, money, work...life aside, there's that dream deferred business.

DB

DB