adjunct pay whine

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Tue Mar 20 19:28:50 PST 2001

>> Every TA I ever had grumbled like you do. I'm sure every TA you
>> had did too.
>
> If you've ever taught a class, Jordan, or done any kind of grunt-level
> service job, you would know why they (and we) grumble: it's difficult,
> exhausting, mentally taxing work.

Sure, I've done all that and more (let me tell you about cleaning a bakery at 2am sometime; I think I still have flour under my fingernails). And now that my job is not grunt-level or in the service economy, it's still difficult, exhausting, mentally taxing.

But that wasn't my point.

My point is/was that Yoshie's claim that she wasn't told that it was going to suck is specious: she had plenty of people around her who were just a few years from where she was. And none of them would be in the business of hiding it from her (just as she's not in the business of hiding it from us ...).

/jordan