Lectures vs. Laptops

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Wed Mar 21 05:19:05 PST 2001

It's Yale - and Ayres, since most of the teachers here kind of suck. Ayres has been on a rampage about this issue for months at the law school and wants the faculty to ban laptops. Although he's also noted that if the faculty did this, the law students would have very good grounds for a lawsuit against the law school, since all students were told to buy laptops to use in class.

It's an interesting phenomena, since a large number of students all agree that Yale faculty stink as teachers. I've noticed that the group of students who think they are good are overwhelmingly those who did undergrad at Yale or Harvard. I guess they never learned that a decent class is more than a big name droning on about his or her pet obsessions.

-- Nathan Newman

----- Original Message ----- From: "Justin Schwartz" <jkschw at hotmail.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2001 11:54 PM Subject: Re: Lectures vs. Laptops

Maybe it's Yale or maybe it's Ayres. No one would play solitarire during Doug Whaley's contracts class at Ohio State Law. He was great! --jks