New Adjunct Whine

Jacob Segal jpsegal at rcn.com
Wed Mar 21 08:25:03 PST 2001

I don't know whether its been mentioned, but for me the worst aspect of adjuncting is the constant uncertainity about work. Each semester is a guessing game whether I will have sufficient courses. There is a kind of humilating quality to this uncertainty and necessary pleading to departmental heads. Recently, I was delighted to be hired by a NYU division that promises a consistent two course allotment, but that still leaves me two courses shy of what I need to live. And when courses are assigned, there is a worry that they will be canceled due to lack of students.

Today, I will be "observed" by one of my bosses (I teach at three different colleges), a anxiety producing event intensified by the precarious existence of the adjunct.

Teaching if definitively fun at times, but being an adjunct is not fun at all.

Jacob Segal NYU (two divisions) Hunter College John Jay College

P.S. I'd be interested to know why Justin was fired from Ohio State, an event he has mentioned a few times.