Functional Explanation Again

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 21 13:36:44 PST 2001

I don't think there is an a priori rule as to when intentional-functional explanations are useful. For example, there is no question but that racist ideologies were intentionally promulgated by US, British, and South African elites in the 19th and early 20th centuries, in part with the idea of fighting communism. You can see this, e.g., in some Thomas Nast cartoons. Whether such an explanation is useful depends on the facts of the case, no? --jks