Reparations -- Yes? (was Re: Joy In Horowitzville)

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Wed Mar 21 16:43:47 PST 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "Yoshie Furuhashi" <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu>

-My impression is that non-black leftists who disagree with Horowitz -on his atrocious arguments against reparations for slavery don't -necessarily argue for reparations, let alone struggle for them. -How many LBO-talkers are actually working on this campaign, as -opposed to being horrified by Horowitz & radical Brown students of -color who trashed the campus paper that ran his ad?

I'm not sure if the issue is horror- except at the fact that Horowitz has gained publicity for himself. Horowitz planned a strategy to self-aggrandize himself, counting on campus censorship to actually help him promote his views more widely.

Whatever I might feel about censorship in general, I think censorship that backfires and gives much wider play to abhorrent views is nothing to be praised.

Maybe you can point to something that was accomplished by getting Horowtiz such publicity. I generally don't see it.

-- Nathan Newman