Current Downturn???

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Wed Mar 21 17:13:49 PST 2001

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Carl Remick wrote:

> Academics, please, pull your heads out! Most of the exploitation now
> occurring in the world is actually happening *off* campus.

Look, buddy, I'm an academic who is unemployed, with *zero* job prospects despite tons of skills, a bunch of credit card bills staring me in the face and $86,000 of student loan debt accumulating at 8% rates of interest, so I really don't need a lecture about how I'm a member of some kind of privileged class.

Adorno had the best response to the ideology of catastrophism:

"He who as an observer gets carried away with battles, the toppling of regimes and catastrophes, cannot gainsay this: that perhaps the emancipation which he as a bourgeois wishes to affirm ought to emancipate itself from precisely that category. Marx had this in mind: he designated the sphere of that artificially-produced greatness which was under consideration, that of politics, as ideology and as transient. The stance of thought in relation to happiness would be the negation of each and every false one." Negative Dialektik:347

-- Dennis