Functional Explanation Again

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 21 21:05:46 PST 2001

The origins of racism are probably like the origins of religion; deriving from deep human needs and (in the case of racism) pathologies that arise from people's life situations. As I've said, I think Winthrop Jordan is good on this (while not neglecting the class angle) in White Over Black. Others like Joel Kovel, whose White Racism I find a little thin.

The difference bewteen racisms of different groups needs to be explored by people who know about such things, but it's probably a reasonable starting hypothesis that competition among groups fuels working class racism, along with the psychic "compensation" of whiteness. Different ruling groups have different sorts and kinds of racism. The white ruling class of the old South had a different investment in racism from that of the urban North.

Your points about the differences between the needs of individual capitalists and that of the capitalist class, etc., are good and remind us of the need for microexplanation. You are becoming an analytical Marxist, Yoshie! Those are characteristics obsessions of the AMs. In fact, dragging in the World Spirit in a derogatory way, you are starting to found like Elster. Next thing you know, you will be posting Roemerian models, and Carrol will flip.

-jks