More about the French elections

helary at niji.or.jp helary at niji.or.jp
Wed Mar 21 15:10:07 PST 2001

> > Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 13:36:01 -0500
> > From: Jim Farmelant <farmelantj at juno.com>
> > Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: More about the French elections
> >
> > How would Elisabeth compare the importance of the events of 1995
> > with the May-June events of 1968 (which I think got much
> > more attention in the US at the time) in French political life?
> >
> > Jim F.

daniel singer has a whole chapter on the issue in 'whose millenium'. from somebody like me who was born after 68 but who lived 95 through the student mvt what is certain is that the power was not afraid in 95 as much as it seem to have been in 68. as singer says 95 was _much_ less ideological. but in a way it seems to have been more radical (well...) since it gave enough energy to organize people on the long run : the 95 mvt can be felt today in the paris election results when even after a much more polarized conflict in 68, the right stayed in power until 81. it seems to me that the absence of ideological polarization is actually what gave strength to the mvt(s) and ensured that they had a wide support base, is it easier to have class consciousness when you don't talk about classes ? btw, i got it wrong i a previous mail. it is not La Gauche Multiple but La Gauche Plurielle. i suppose it is staying away too long...

jc helary