Underemployment?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Mar 22 07:18:31 PST 2001

Marta Russell wrote:

>Can someone clue me in to where to look to see recent Underemployment
>rates. In 1995 (according to EPI) they hovered at 10.1 percent but
>what has happened since then?

"Underemployment" is pretty hard to define, much less measure. A musician who works as a cabbie may be said to be underemployed, but maybe s/he's a bad musician who should stick to driving. The most common measure of "hidden" unemployment in the U.S. is the BLS's U-6 rate ("Total unemployed, plus all marginally attached workers, plus total employed part time for economic reasons, as a percent of the civilian labor force plus all marginally attached workers"), reported in table A-8 <http://stats.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t08.htm> of the monthly employment release <http://stats.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.toc.htm>. February's reading was 7.9%, just under twice the official rate. Unlike the headline unemployment figure, U-6 isn't seasonally adjusted, so it can bounce around a lot. You can get historical info by following links at <http://stats.bls.gov/cpsatabs.htm>.

Doug