Don't blame AG

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 22 16:30:35 PST 2001

I've seen a surprising number of articles in the financial press -- two -- saying that investors shouldn't blame Alan Greenspan for the hopeless mess the market's in.

There's no question that any number of economic forces are beyond AG's control, but let's get real: No Fed chairman in my lifetime -- not Arthur Burns, not even Paul Volcker -- has made the assiduous effort to promote a cult of personality that AG has. To me, this God-like image that he has so carefully cultivated is the most Ayn Randish thing about the man.

So, no, Greenspan is not really responsible for the train wreck that characterizes the capital markets now. At the same time, I eagerly await a howling mob suspending the Federal Reserve Chairman from a tree by his withered genitals.