Reparations -- Yes? (was Re: Joy In Horowitzville)

Forstater, Mathew ForstaterM at umkc.edu
Thu Mar 22 09:10:09 PST 2001

I have argued in favor of reps. on teevee twice in the last two weeks, once on a "in-depth" story on the reparations movement in the KC area on local 10 oclock news and once in a half hour 'debate' on the local Sunday morning news 'firing line' show. I also organized two seminars on reps last semester with Gary Dymski, one on campus and the other at the Bruce Watkins Cultural Heritage Center in the KC community. I have also argued for reps. in presentations on race, class, and health in a community mtg. sponsored by the KC and State of Missouri Health Depts and at a guest lecture at KU medical school, and again at a conference on public employment here at UMKC, at Black History Month events last year and this year, and at several other similar forums. Reps are part of a three pronged strategy to reduce Black poverty and unemployment (along with affirmative action and guaranteed jobs) in papers I've presented in several places in the last few years, etc. I am involved with the local NCOBRA chapter......

-----Original Message----- From: Yoshie Furuhashi [mailto:furuhashi.1 at osu.edu]

My impression is that non-black leftists who disagree with Horowitz on his atrocious arguments against reparations for slavery don't necessarily argue for reparations, let alone struggle for them.

How many LBO-talkers are actually working on this campaign, as opposed to being horrified by Horowitz & radical Brown students of color who trashed the campus paper that ran his ad?

Yoshie