Reparations -- Yes? (was Re: Joy In Horowitzville)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Mar 22 09:15:18 PST 2001

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>It seems to me that reparations of any substance are impossible
>under capitalism.

So, short of revolution, reparations are meaningless? Then why bother to talk about reparations at all, if it's subsidiary to the anticapitalist struggle?

>I imagine that you are against the campaign, since you are a fan of
>Adolph Reed. If you are against it, what's your alternative?

I support vigorous affirmative action (does that make me a liberal?), and a host of nonracial schemes that would disproportionally benefit black Americans, like repair of the urban infrastructure, minimum incomes, guaranteed employment, free education, K-postdoc. Oh, and expropriating the expropriators, when we figure out how to do that.

Doug