Reparations -- Yes? (was Re: Joy In Horowitzville)

Forstater, Mathew ForstaterM at umkc.edu
Thu Mar 22 11:43:35 PST 2001

Richard America is not waiting for the end of capitalism to actualize reparations. And I think he sees this kind of estimation process as lending support to the cause--even by 'market' standards of reparations are in order.

-----Original Message----- From: Doug Henwood [mailto:dhenwood at panix.com] Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2001 1:17 PM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: RE: Reparations -- Yes? (was Re: Joy In Horowitzville)

Forstater, Mathew wrote:

>Richard America's procedure
>
>1. Study the historical economic relations between Africans and Europeans
>2. Estimate the "fair" rates of interest, exchange, returns, etc.
>3. Establish the actual rates of interest, returns, etc.
>4. Estimate the difference between the fair and actual rates--this will be the
>amount needing repair.
>5. Estimate the present value of the reparations using compound interest.
>6. Devise means of repair.
>
>See his essay in Thomas Boston's _A Different Vision_, Routledge.

So, contra Yoshie, all this talk of rates of return and compound interest makes it a capitalist model of reparations.

Doug