Reparations: What does the campaign involve

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Mar 22 17:34:54 PST 2001

>Carrol Cox wrote:
>
>>Again: Assume tbat some intelligent men and women have discussed this
>>program at length and have already canvassed _all_ the obvious and many
>>of the less obvious objections to it. Then pause and ask yourself why
>>would you, at this point, be raising obvious questions.
>
>Because while the question may be obvious to you, the answer isn't,
>despite the certainty with which you characteristically speak.
>
>By the way, I'm still waiting for your explanation for why the BRC
>is the authentic voice of black America, while the 90% of black
>Americans who voted for Gore aren't. You've said with repeated force
>that the Democrats must be destroyed, right? In overwhelming
>numbers, black Americans don't agree. Why?
>
>Doug

Both the Black Radical Congress and blacks who voted for Gore and/or some other Democrat are black. There may be even some overlap between these two groups of blacks. For instance, Representative John Conyers, Jr. (D - MI) has kept, since 1989, introducing a bill calling for a study of slavery, its impact, & feasibility of reparations. Aside from the overlap, we can & should ask a question: who knows & serves the best interests of black & other workers -- Al Gore or the Black Radical Congress? The BRC!

The numerical strength does not determine who knows & can represent the interests of the working class best. Richard Gephardt is better known to American workers than Doug Henwood, to take just one example, but that doesn't mean that the former can better know & represent the interests of the working class than the latter.

Yoshie