Bankruptcy grace period

John Mage jmage at panix.com
Fri Mar 23 05:54:03 PST 2001

Justin, speaking as a lawyer who has on several occasions practiced in bankruptcy court, advising folks to file for bankruptcy is NOT the unauthorized practice of law. It's what good friends do for each other. Making people think that they have to deal with lawyers even to decide to file will discourage many people from doing what is in their interest to do. Consulting a bankruptcy practitioner is a wise thing to do, but a knowledgeable friend (or someone who has gone through the process) may be every bit as useful. Since you have the means at your disposal, why not find out if in the bill there is indeed a six month "grace period" after the act takes effect?

john mage