Bankruptcy grace period

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Mar 23 08:48:50 PST 2001

At 04:12 PM 3/23/01 +0000, Justin wrote:
>People talk about professionalization and regulation of law and medicine
>like it's a bad thing. Look, the situation with crooked, incompetent, and
>indifferent lawyers and doctors is bad enough as it is, even with
>regulation. But these are real disciplines that require mastry of complex
>bodies of material. Moreover, unlike academics, there is a real cost to real
>human beings if it's badly done--well, I don't mean to discount the
>interests of students, but in fact in much of academics that isn't a
>consideration; I meant research. If you go to a quack doctor, you may get
>rooked or die. If you go to a charlatan "attorney," you may lose your
>money, or your house, or go to jail. I see what happens when people
>represent themselves, sometimes with the "help" of friends.
>Occassionally--very occasionally--they do a creditable job, better than some
>of the loser lawyers who practice before the courts. Mostly they blow
>everything, and can only be rescued if a sympathetic judge or clerk puts in
>more time than she ought to pull something from the wreckage. Without
>regulation and the guild mentality, there would be a lot more of that. So,
>guild mentality? You bet. --jks

You have a good point here, Justin. The professions, and regulations thereof, are generally a good thing, occasional abuses of trust notwithstanding. The criticim of 'entry barriers' and "professional monopolies' smack of the neo-classical market-schmarket mentality that resents the fact that most professions have been quite effective in resisting taylorisation.

wojtek