neoclassical logic (Brad on - Jim O'Connor)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Mar 24 10:09:32 PST 2001

Patrick Bond wrote:

>More generally, weren't Suharto and his friends at the World Bank
>found guilty of cooking the Gini coefficient books to make it appear
>that Indon had achieved growth with equity? I recall this became an
>issue around mid-1998 when real information emerged to show
>extraordinary inequality, against the Suharto/WB claims of the
>previous decade or so. (Don't have a cite...)

You referring to Jeff Winters' discovery of the source of the WB's absurdly low figure for Indonesian poverty? As I remember the story, one day Suharto said "there are x million poor in Indonesia" - x being a fraction of the actual total - and the government statistical service quickly assembled backup figures for Suharto's claim. The WB then accepted the government's figures.

Doug