Functional Explanation Again

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sat Mar 24 11:23:25 PST 2001

On Sat, 24 Mar 2001 07:39:59 -0500 Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> writes:
> James Farmelant wrote to Dennis B.:
>

> Though Justin says I am becoming a budding Analytical Marxist [!],
> having grown out of what he probably thinks of as a dialectoid
> infancy, I think Hegel's cunning of reason has a rational kernel
> worth preserving:

In fairness to Justin, he has a much higher opinion of Hegel, and of Hegelian Marxism than do most Analytic Marxists. Hegel in turn as the passage that Yoshie quotes below was apparently not innocent of engaging in micro-explanations too.

<http://www.ets.uidaho.edu/mickelsen/texts/Hegel%20-%20Philosophy%20of%20 History.htm>

> *****
>
> The rational kernel here is that history is not a "social
> experiment"
> or "social engineering" & that individuals are compelled to go about
>
> our business of making history without quite knowing what fruits, if
>
> any, our actions bear. Historical meanings of our actions are
> grasped in hindsight. The owl of Minerva only flies at dusk.

Jim Farmelant

________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.