paying off ex-slaves

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Mar 26 06:36:52 PST 2001

LeoCasey at aol.com wrote:

>Moreover, if I read
>Randall Robinson's case for reparations correctly, a case which I think is
>more compelling than any other I have come across, he would reject the
>paradigm of individual compensation which is inescapable in legal, class
>action remedies, and in existing examples of reparations.

I read a bunch of Robinson's book last night. Almost all of it is devoted to making the case that the U.S.'s treatment of African Americans has been one long crime against humanity, which it is. He devotes only a few pages at the end to a proposed solution, which is mostly a trust fund, endowed by the government, to distribute various social benefits to black people (and the creation of political institutions independent of the Democrats - he's quite critical of the way the Dems court black votes and then offer little but betrayal in return). Robinson leaves the working out of details to hearings and commissions, but he suggests things like free tuition to compensate for generations of limited educational access. Shouldn't everyone have free tuition?

Doug