Reparations

Brad Mayer bradley.mayer at ebay.sun.com
Mon Mar 26 10:57:38 PST 2001

Thanks, Carrol. This agreeably clarifies things with respect to Art. I'd also add that, at this point in history at least, being a _revolutionary_ is more significant than being a marxist. A lot of counterrevolutionary and reactionary BS has floated under the bridge in the name of "Marxism". There is still much "marxist" crap that needs to be blown out the tubes, a lot of deck-clearing, before the order of these two terms can be reversed. After all, Marx was first a revolutionary. This was the primary impulse for whatever was innovative in his thought.

-Brad Mayer Oakland, CA

PS: Apologies for the messed up Japan/Economist post. I thought it would fly, but it didn't. It was an interesting article that had some details on the Machiavellian internals of the LDP. However, once again the Minshuto (Japan Democratic Party) is not mentioned - it simply fails to appear on the Anglo-American bourgeois radar, anywhere. Interestingly, Minshuto _failed_ to win the Chiba prefecture (Kanto region, Tokyo) governorship last weekend, despite the LDP crisis. Instead, it went to an "independent grassroots" (i.e., populist) candidate, Akiko Domoto, whose politics cannot be discerned at this time. The turnout was low - ~40%. The LDP has never lost Chiba before. Not just the LDP, but the entirety of bourgeois politics in Japan, continues in deep crisis.