paying off ex-slaves: patriotism as a double edged sword

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 26 19:22:43 PST 2001

The technical name in rhetoric is actually the argumetum ad hominem,a term that has a more familiar meaning, quite distinct, in naming a fallacy of attacking a view because of who says it. ("Well, _Justin_ believes that too!). But it also names the (nonfallacious and indeed dialectical) approach of arguing from premises accepted by your interlocutor. --jks