Fw: NYTimes.com Article: Debra Bernhardt, Historian for the Unsung, Dies at 47

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 26 19:38:03 PST 2001

Debbie was a friend of mine, a tough and courageous woman, a real fighter for working people. I last saw her in the U.P. of Michigan last summer, where she grew up, at the house of our mutual friend, my kids' godfather, a Yooper like herself, and a IWW labor militant. Debbie came from a background of real poverty and working class no-hope to get a PhD and do super work as labor organizer in NY. She leaves a daughter,a great legacy, and broken hearts from everyone her knew her. For the bosses, her death means that they can breathe that much easier. I hope that when my time comes they will be able to say as much of me. Goodbye, Debbie; we will keep up the fight.

jks