Supremes let Shell lawsuit proceed

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue Mar 27 08:29:51 PST 2001

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> This decision clears the way for the US courts becoming defacto world
> courts - which is essentially a bad thing. Next time we will hear a case
> against Cuba brought by some right wing Florida schmuck.

I don't think this case lays that sort of precedent. I think the grounds for letting the case go forward against Shell's protest that the courts had no jursidction was that Shell had a big enough corporate footprint here to make this count as a legitimate jurisdiction. I don't think that argument would hold against Cuba or any similarly anathematized state.

Michael