Democrats: Death continues

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Mar 27 09:05:50 PST 2001

At 02:43 PM 3/27/01 +0000, you wrote:
>[From Salon]
>
>Poison Paul?
>
>Passed by the Senate, Paul Wellstone's amendment to McCain-Feingold could
>kill tough campaign finance reform this year. Do the Democrats really want
>to clean up politics?

--snip

>"It's guys like Wellstone who hurt the cause of reform far greater than
>Mitch McConnell," the McCain-Feingold strategist said. "The purists are what
>Lenin called 'useful idiots.' They end up doing more damage to the cause of
>reform than the most vicious opponents."

This assumes that a campaign finance reform bill is a good thing - which I doubt. It will most likely prevent unions and other progressive organizations from making donations, while leaving the door widely open for the assorted rich. Wellstone might thus be showing remarkable foresight trying to kill the bill that is likely to cripple unions' but not coprorations' ability to influence the political process.

wojtek