Supremes let Shell lawsuit proceed

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Tue Mar 27 10:17:53 PST 2001

Actually, I think the case is better than that. There is an active strategy to use the 18th century Alien Torts Act to challenge human rights violations by US-based corporations in developing countries. For the Court to allow this case to go forward is a weakening of restrictive definitions of jurisdiction that often require the case to go to the country where the harm occurred.

Of course, such developing nations have no economic capability to extract significant damages under threat of capital strike or just claims that there are no assets available in the local subsidiary, so to kick the case to such venues is to essentially allow them to die.

Corporations are the political creatures of developed nations and it is appropriate for them to discipline them under international law. That does not prevent developing nations from disciplining them to the extent they can, but that should be in addition to the responsibility of the states who legally construct them and raise their capital under limited liability laws and then let them loose on the world.

-- Nathan Newman

----- Original Message ----- From: "Justin Schwartz" <jkschw at hotmail.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2001 11:36 AM Subject: Re: Supremes let Shell lawsuit proceed

Right. The Supremes haven't repealed the normally restrictive law of extraterritorial jurisdiction, or the sovereign immunity of foreign states. I haven't read the case yet; I will do so and report what it actually holds, as far as I can tell. --jks