Many Headed Hydra

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 28 07:15:12 PST 2001

Let me add my voice to the chorus in praise of The Many Headed Hydra. One of the coauthors, Peter Linebaugh, has a previous book, The London Hanged, that is the best thing on 18th century England since EP Thompson, whose student IU believe Linebaugh was. Linebaugh is not only a profoundly original historian of great technical skill and unsually large and radical vision, he is an exceptionally fine writer with a real feel for literature. The London Hanged, a survey of the social world of the English artisanal working class and the rule of capital through the lens of those of workers, artisans, and crooks hanged at Tyburn through the century, is built in part on a triope derived from Milton's Paradise Lost. You'd like it, Carrol. --jks