Student Protests Against Horowitz Ad]

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 28 08:22:08 PST 2001

The First Amendment protects racist speech. In fact, the basic case that states the current version of the "clear and present danger" exception, Brandenburg v. Ohio, 395 US 444 (1969), is a Klan case. The BRC _may_ be trying to say that this isn't the law, but, since they expressly disclaimed that reading, why not take them at their word? Maybe, like Charles, they wish that wasn't the law, but it is certainly true that the First A neither justifies racist speech nor entitles anyone to indulge in it. What it does is to protect the morons who do from the police.--jks