Student Protests Against Horowitz Ad]

Dennis dperrin13 at mediaone.net
Wed Mar 28 09:12:42 PST 2001

David Hill of UNITE wrote:

> There were a number of op-eds in the Brown Herald before and after the ad
> ran that were on both sides of the issue.

Glad to hear it. Then why does the BRC, at least in the post seen here, give the impression that the students had no media voice in the Horowitz matter?

> It is true that reparations are gaining support around the country.
Randall
> Robinson's book on the subject is a bestseller. Many talk shows are
> discussing the issue. I don't have any polls or scientific evidence, just
> anectdotal evidence, but I am not a suspiscious of the BRC's claim here as
> you are for the reasons I mentioned above.

Anecdotal evidence is a two-sided coin. I can just as easily say the opposite (and to a degree do) without offering anything save my immediate impressions.

> Not to speak for the student coalition at Brown, but from what I've read,
> this wasn't a "clumsy" act by random black students. That is indeed what
> the media is trying to portray, and its a view that faculty and students
at
> Brown are trying to dispel.
>
> The action was very concerted and was planned by a coaliton of a number of
> student groups on the Brown campus representing many different races and
> political persuasions. They put forward demands on the Brown paper that
the
> paper did not meet, and the stealing the papers was in reaction to that. I
> don't condone the action, and have written here that I feel it was
foolish,
> but I don't want to perpetuate the myth that it was the act of a bunch of
> crazy black hooligans that the media is putting forth.

The "concerted" action wasn't "clumsy," but was "foolish." Well, that certainly helps to clear up matters. And for the record, I don't buy the "black hooligan" angle either, and know that the paper-grabbing stunt was performed by a variety of actors, which makes it all the more ridiculous and self-defeating. That was the best reaction all those minds could come up with?

> All in all, I believe that the actions against Horowitz are sad if for no
> other reason than they put Horowitz back into fashion, which is what he
> wants. But I also think they are sad in that they have illuminated just
how
> comfortable a space white supremacists like Horowitz and his supporters
have
> in the current political climate. By framing the left and, more
> importantly, the political agenda of communities of color around issues
like
> affirmative action and reparations for slavery, the right can further
divide
> working class whites and communities of color. Horowitz and his
libertarian
> backers know where to best fan the flames of white racism, and its around
> these issues and its on the University campus. And the response, both by
> the left and the media, have been to uphold not only stereotypes of the
left
> as intolerant of free speech and dissenting political views, but also
> stereotypes of people of color who defend affirmative action or
reparations
> as "extremists."

Here we agree. Fuck Horowitz. Let's move on to more pressing issues.

DP