Pacifica Houston [was Re: Bessie Wash Statement - Interruption on 3/26/2000]

DsR wingnut2000 at usa.net
Wed Mar 28 13:58:23 PST 2001

> > These last incidents occurred after a series of
> > unreported acts of violence and threats. Racial and sex-baiting
> > intimidation tactics employed by the anti-Pacifica facets (?)
> > throughout this network in all five signal areas: KPFA in Berkeley,
> > WBAI in New York, WPFW in Washington, KPFK in LA and KPFT
> > in Houston.
>
> A "series" of violent acts and threats? When? From whom? Who were the
> targets? Where are the witnesses?

It's getting rather intense down here in Houston. This is the email posting we first heard about the arrest of Edwin Johnston on Saturday via the Houston Activist Network listserv:

> --- In trustthepeople-houston at y..., "Slasher" <Slasher_ at p...> wrote:
> > Well it's happened again! Another arrest of a Pacifica listener
> orchestrated by Pacifica management, this time outside of KPFT!
> >
> > Tonight there was a "backyard" party at KPFT for listener sponsors.
> There were 4 people outside KPFT passing out Pacifica Campaign
> flyers. Molly O'brien wife of General Manager Garland Ganter went
> over to Sheila Harris who had some PC brochures and grabed them from
> her and charged back toward the door, Edwin Johnston folowed and
> attempted to get the flyers returned to their rightfull owner. Miss
> O' Brien turned and scremed "RAPE" and immediately Ganter and another
> fellow came out to assult Edwin who was subsequently arrested for a
> class C assault on Miss O'Brien, a misdemeanor.
> >
> > Some belive Pacifica may very well have another lawsuit on it's
> hands as Mr Johnston has experience in a 7 year long claim against
> the Houston PD for assault. A suit which he won (so I am told) The
> people involved were Pacifica employees engaged in the business of
> promoting Pacifica.
> >
> > Edwin remains in Jail, Sheila, Shannon and Wendy are going to bail
> him out at 11PM. I guess KPFT management was troubled by listeners
> showing up in such force at the LAB meeting Wedensday. The Heat is
> now officially ON!

After getting out on bail, Edwin posted several links, including this one:

David Landau's interview : http://www.savepacifica.net Story title: Bessie "the censor" Wash strikes again Click link for: KPFA News report

It will be interesting to see how this develops. I'll try to post updates as they occur.

- Deborah R.

____________________________________________________________________ Get free email and a permanent address at http://www.amexmail.com/?A=1