myth of upward mobility

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 28 23:00:54 PST 2001

>From: Jim Farmelant
>
>And one might add this relatively egalitarian income distribution that is
>characteristic of Scandinavia is in large part the legacy of vociferous and
>even violent class struggles that were fought by Scandinavian workers back
>in the 1920s and 1930s. Given the fact that the USSR was not too far away,
>the ruling classes there saw that the negotiation of compromises with the
>workers was in their best long term interests.

I'm always amazed how the mentality of Corporate America changed utterly following the collapse of Soviet Union. As a corporate writer, I can recall laboring long over documents that were soulful expressions of "corporate social responsibility." Then the next I knew, presto! The Wall came down, any pretense of corporate social responsibility went out the window and the "Winner Takes All" society arrived in a twinkling. The CEOs who had been proclaiming their sense of social stewardship, fiduciary obligation and whatnot suddenly had a new operating principle: "You have arms, you take."