Econ 101

Forstater, Mathew ForstaterM at umkc.edu
Thu Mar 29 08:22:19 PST 2001

most of the textbook presentation of the Fed is wrong. for an interesting institutional analysis of Fed-Treasury relations and fiscal-monetary policy relations, see Stephanie Bell, Journal of Economic Issues "Can Taxes and Bonds Finance Government Spending?", 2001 (might be 2000); a previous version is available at the Levy web site as a working paper. A good primer on monetary theory and policy is L. R. Wray Money and Credit in Capitalist Economies, 1990, Elgar. Endogenous money, exogenous interest rates, institutional mechanisms banks use to lend beyond limits of reserve requirements. Also M. Lavoie, Foundations of Post Keynesian Economics, Elgar, on the myth of the money multiplier, etc.

-----Original Message----- From: Bob Morris [mailto:bobmorris at mediaone.net] Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2001 5:43 PM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Econ 101

Ok, I'll admit it, I don't really know exactly how the Fed guides the economy.

The want to stimulate the economy, so they drop rates. This means loans cost less so people are more likely to take a loan and build a factory or whatever. This I understand. However, doesn't the Fed also control how much money is in circulation by buying or selling bonds? How does this work? They bid high on t-bills, thus drawing money from banks? Why do the banks have to sell? And wouldn't they have to pull huge amounts in to make any difference?