Always a Backlash! (was Re: Defacing Websites, "Stealing" Free Papers)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Mar 29 12:21:26 PST 2001

Kelley writes:

>one could equally likely predict more of a backlash.

You know, anything leftists do, be they black or white or whatever, will face a backlash. The more effective you are, the more backlash you must expect. Neoliberalsim is a form of backlash against the wage squeeze, wildcat strikes, expansion of the public sector & transfer payments, etc. during the late 60s & 70s. The wars on drugs & crimes are likewise a backlash against the breakdown of law & order (riots, radical movements, etc.) in the late 60s & 70s. If you are really effective & bring about a revolution, expect military attacks as a backlash.

At 10:20 PM -0500 3/28/01, Dennis wrote:
>I said that the Brown paper has a right to take money from whoever they want
>and print or not print whatever they want, just as leftwing papers do. If
>the Brown paper had rejected Horowitz's ad, I would not criticize them. It
>would not be censorship. But they accepted it, as is their right. You don't
>like it? Quit school, get a working-class job and help to overthrow
>capitalism. Until then, spare me your paper darts from the academy.

The criticism above includes me but doesn't exclude the Brown students who "censored" Horowitz, unless Dennis has changed his mind by now & come to a paradoxical conclusion that while he disagrees with me but approves of the action taken by the Brown student activists.

Yoshie