Jury Duty

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Mar 29 12:59:09 PST 2001

At 11:33 AM 3/29/01 -0800, Chuck wrote:

>Jury Duty. An anathma to justice.

>I almost burst out laughing, because the attorneys had practically
>leaped out of their chairs to get to the judge first with the name
>Grimes on their lips.

I've been excluded from all jury panels but one by defendants' attorneys. I have alway wondered why - because of my skin color (white) or institutional affiliation (Hopkins) or educational level (PhD) or what. I suppose they believed I would be prejudiced against their clients (black males).

Well, one day I had a chance to sit on a panel. The case was against some poor schmuck allegedly selling pot. After the DA presented her case I had sufficient reasonable doubt in this case - even before the defendant opened his mouth (the poor fellow could not even utter a complete English sentence in his defence and of course he had no attorney). I thought to myself what the other eleven were thinking and if I would have any difficulty to convince them that looking suspicious is not enough to prove guilt beyond *reasonable doubt.* However, I did not have a chance to find out. The judge dismissed the case when the key witness (the cop who allegedly saw the "crime" did not show up).

I think, however, that jury selection is a joke - it is process of ascertaining that only those who have no opinions whatsover and an IQ of a vegetable will serve.

wojtek