"Practicalities" of Reparations (was Re: Defacing Websites, "Stealing" Free Papers)

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Thu Mar 29 15:00:21 PST 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "Yoshie Furuhashi" <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu>

> (1) Affirmative action demands that we define race. Racial
> profiling demands that cops define race. Jim Crow used to demand
> that people define race. And so on. And so forth. Jim Crow was
> atrociously practical, racial profiling has been devastatingly
> practical, and affirmative action is practical -- if the Supreme
> Court doesn't allow it to be totally extinguished, that is.
>
> ***** The New York Times
> March 28, 2001, Wednesday, Late Edition - Final
> SECTION: Section A; Page 1; Column 5; National Desk
> HEADLINE: U.S. Court Bars Race as Factor In School Entry
> BYLINE: By JODI WILGOREN
>
> A federal judge in Detroit ruled yesterday that the race-conscious
> admissions system of the University of Michigan's law school is
> unconstitutional, contradicting a December ruling in a parallel case
> that upheld the university's affirmative action policy for
> undergraduate admissions.

Yoshie, this is what I was talking about a while back as to when a scientific theory takes on a life of it's own and can be harnessed to achieve reactionary goals. Clearly we don't want to say that anti-racism is against working class interests anymore than we want to that racism is, so how do we neutralize the right's appropriation of science to engage in what few on the left would deny is racist?

Ian

Ian