Jury Duty

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at tsoft.com
Thu Mar 29 15:09:30 PST 2001

I think, however, that jury selection is a joke - it is process of ascertaining that only those who have no opinions whatsover and an IQ of a vegetable will serve.

wojtek

I would only add to your list, consummate liars.

My dilemma was should I lie my way onto the jury. I decided not to lie but my reason was a little odd. I was so profoundly angry with the courts in general, because of the Supreme Court decision that resulted in the selection of George W, that I didn't think I could maintain my composure under what promised to be a tedious examination by the attorneys and possibly the judge.

It was something of a radical experience of state. I listened to the judge celebrate the democracy of the courts in their difference to the jury system. Then I looked at this court room, the weirdo attendant, the befuddled clerk who could not pronounce the names of many of the jurors, and the rather authoritarian judge, and thought, you people have no right to rule, period. Fuck you. Evidently the feelings were mutual.

I certainly wish the woman's family well, and hope they get millions. After all the state did kill her.

Chuck Grimes