racist opinion a crime ?

Dennis dperrin13 at mediaone.net
Fri Mar 30 10:30:32 PST 2001

> Furthermore, it is a truth universally acknowledged, that for-profit
> textbook publishers, privately-owned newspapers & TV stations,
> thousands upon thousands of parochial & provincial school boards, and
> so on in the USA must be far more committed to historical truth than
> the French government.
>
> Yoshie

That the fact that we live under a corporate oligopoly negates the concept of free speech for all? This seems to be the drift among the Marxist managerial types on this list: They know the Truth, and those who disagree with them are fascists, racists, or even worse, liberals. It's amazing to me that we even have to have this discussion, especially considering recent history when this type of thinking has been enforced at gunpoint.

I think that the First A is but a first step, and a timid one at that. It was a radical idea for its day (and judging from some of the posts here, remains so). But without free speech, there's no dissident progressive movement. American oligarchs have always had the upper-hand when it comes to mass expression. They own the means of production and distribution. They are the gatekeepers. The only way to reach the people at large is through free expression. And for this to be respected and taken seriously, it means tolerance for (but not acceptance of) fascist speech.

I get the feeling that despite all the hot air released on behalf of "the people," that Yoshie and Charles actually fear the people to make up their own minds. That their Marxist arguments will not sway anyone unless competing ideas are criminalized or eliminated. That's why I think you should quit school, Yoshie, so that you can actually work with the people you claim to understand and wish to uplift. The university is not the world. Get out, get your hands dirty, mix with the commoners.

DP