Chomsky on Free Speech

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Fri Mar 30 14:45:58 PST 2001

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> >Why bring the whole thing up if you don't want to suggest, which I
> >know you don't, that C is a closet Holocaust revisionist? --jks
>
> That's not my suggestion. The suggestion is Chomsky played in the
> hands of the right ("my statement was not written as a preface to the
> book, which I did not know existed, and that I asked to have it
> withdrawn, though too late to affect publication a few weeks after I
> wrote it"), which he himself regret now.

Chomsky did a bold thing and took a stand for free speech. As an activist against Internet filtering and for intellectual freedom, I've always greatly respected his stand in this case. You can't get rid of dumb ideas by banning them. Everybody knows that the Holocaust happened, but the question is why some people are so threatened by people who deny that it happened.

<< Chuck0 >>

This was the year *everything* changed.

-- Commander Ivanova, 2261

Mid-Atlantic Infoshop -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/

Homepage -> http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/

"A society is a healthy society only to the degree that it exhibits anarchistic traits."

- Jens Bjørneboe