Recession

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 31 13:43:18 PST 2001

>Carl Remick wrote:
> >
> > IFAIC, LBOers, the recession has arrived. Just got word that I'm being
> > layed off after working at this firm 12 1/2 years. That's anecdotal
> > evidence, I guess, but for me pretty conclusive.
> >
> > Carl
>
>From: Steve Grube <grube at ix.netcom.com>
>
>What, you're not buoyed by the the wonderful aggregate
>numbers of low unemployment? Oh, you suffer the fate of
>having (recently) a *particular* job, like me (laid off
>8 days ago after three years). I was asking for it, I
>suppose, since I've worked in Quality for years and
>generally you have a bulls eye on your shirt around
>recession time....

Sheer stupidity on my part, I guess. I figured companies would have a continuing need to justify themselves with PR rhetoric even (or especially) when times got bad. And I've been expecting the economy to get *very* bad for a very long time. Somehow, I couldn't connect the dots there. When the economy is in free fall -- as now, I believe -- companies assume the crash position and, apart from brokerage firms trying to wheedle their way back into public confidence, just plain shut their mouths.

Well, it's interesting to be on the cutting edge of a trend for once and not just an observer -- albeit a "left business" one ;-)