MLK & Direct Action (was Re: racist opinion a crime?)

Dennis dperrin13 at mediaone.net
Sat Mar 31 12:12:19 PST 2001

Yoshie (sigh) wrote:

> It is always the case, whenever organized blacks take actions on
> their own behalf, that they get accused by "white moderates" for
> "playing into the hands of the Right."
>
> The rhetoric of avoiding "playing into the hands of the Right" at all
> costs -- seen in the writings of those who bemoan the Brown student
> activists' tactic -- basically boils down to a counsel of passivity
> (= preference for "a negative peace which is the absence of
> tension"). Blacks have the right to reject this rhetoric.

I've never counseled passivity on the part of those students. If they wanted to form a human blockade of the Daily Herald offices, or indeed occupy them, I'd have no problem with that. This would be a direct, forceful action that would provide a sharper focus on the inequities that exist at Brown, and would ask the question, Just who do the editors represent?

Instead of running off with the papers, why not hold a public reading of Horowitz's ad, and publically demolish each point in turn? Urge other students to read this crap and show what an utter fool Horowitz is. This way, Horowitz is engaged, but not on his terms. He can't cry "censorship" when everybody is reading and laughing at his arguments.

> Palestinians have been berated by the Israeli doves & the Zionist Left for
starting the
> second Intifada, which "helped to elect Sharon," etc., but they are
> right to reject the "negative peace" (which wasn't even peaceful to
> begin with).

This is an entirely different issue, and should have its own thread.

> When fear dominates politics, what you get is a Leviathan.

I'm not afraid, Yoshie. You?