Baby bonds, Mayday

James Heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Tue May 1 01:28:09 PDT 2001

This view was often attributed to Titmuss, but after reading your mail I had a quick scoot over 'Essays on the Welfare State', and couldn't find anything more precise than the following:

'In a situation of limited resources, quality of service comes into conflict with quantity of service; if the standard is set for (what Defoe called) "the middling classes" then the quantitative needs of other groups may not be met.' p23

Maybe it's in his other work 'Income Distribution and Social Change'.

In message <3AED7FB1.67FB7C4B at ecst.csuchico.edu>, Michael Perelman <michael at ecst.csuchico.edu> writes
>Jim, where did he say that?
>
>James Heartfield wrote:
>

>> I agree with that point about the shortcomings of the UK welfare system.
>> The social scientist Titmuss explained how the better off generally
>> secured a better deal from the British education system etc. than poorer
>> folk.
>
>--
>
>Michael Perelman
>Economics Department