The New Welfare Paradigm

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Wed May 2 16:51:03 PDT 2001

I don't know if this is transgressive discourse, but EPI hosted a meeting yesterday with a group of folks who work in this field, and their focus is on preparing for the reauthorization of TANF next year. Their theme, with which I enthusiastically concur, is "wage-based jobs" as the principal component of the program. In contrast to workfare, WBJ means a status that entitles workers to all the protections of the Fair Labor Standards Act, minimum wage, and EITC benefits, among other things. The jobs could be public or private. The key is that they be real and not in some twilight of 'work experience' and the like.

The alternative formulation is for "care-giver benefits." This reckons that work in the home, caring for children or the infirm, should be rewarded the way employed work is with refundable tax credits. This is obviously a much harder row to hoe. I'll be doing what I can for them, but that campaign is going to take much more time to get traction.

mbs

>>> crdbronx at erols.com 05/01/01 09:42AM >>>
The key is universality of services and benefits. That's what Charles means by the comparison with the public schools. Family allowances such as exist in many advanced countries are a model. So too is universal day care.