famous economist defends exploitation

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri May 4 16:15:23 PDT 2001

>"Charles Brown" <CharlesB at CNCL.ci.detroit.mi.us>
> > >
> > >Isn't the main job of economists to defend exploitation ,
> > coming up with a
> > >myriad of ways to rationalize it ?
> > >
> > >Charles
> >
> > Of course. There is a whole branch of Christian theology,
> > apologetics, that
> > is devoted to justifying good ol' God's depraved indifference
> > and/or
> > sadistically punitive behavior toward humankind. It's clear
> > how that
> > increasingly irrelevant intellectual exercise has been
> > retrofitted to meet
> > the needs of a secular society. Capitalist apologetics is
> > indeed the prime
> > preoccupation of the high priests of the marketplace,
> > economists.
> >
> > Carl
> >

>I agree that the thread title does have a certain flavour of
>"Famous Bear Shits in Woods", but the actual job of genuine
>economists is the high-level planning and discussion of the
>optimisation of the process of production ...
>
>dd

I'd say economists' actual job is to patiently, patronizingly explain why the "optimization of the process of production" requires the working stiff to be treated as a fungible unit and have his/her labor deskilled and turned into a commodity, while every CEO must be treated as an Utterly Unique and Gifted Individual requiring constant lavish praise and bribes to fulfill his (and very occasionally her) incredibly indispensable role.