MSOFT versus Open Source movement

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Fri May 4 13:09:27 PDT 2001

> No, that's not what it means at all. I pressed it into service to say
> that there's no way that individual consumption practices can
> extricate oneself from an exploitative society. You can use free
> software, but you've got to run it on machines made by evil large
> corporations. You can shun meat and spare animals, but what about the
> migrant workers who pick the cucumbers?
>
> One of my favorite little factoids: organic produce requires more
> stoop labor than the ordinary kind. So is it more "moral" to eat
> organic food?
>
> Doug
========= There's a wonderful group of people who are looking at different ways of generating a greater level of public discourse on technological choices in democratic forums http://www.loka.org/ with the possibility of different ownership/control rights. The guy who's taken up the challenge in a big way is Richard Sclove. He's written a great book, "Democracy and Technology" that I would encourage any leftie technophile to read; it's a great companion to "CyberMarx" by Nick Dyer-Witheford.

Ian