The morality of consumption

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Fri May 4 14:03:45 PDT 2001

Doug wrote:

>One of my favorite little factoids: organic produce requires more
>stoop labor than the ordinary kind. So is it more "moral" to eat
>organic food?

Well, I don't know. It partly depends on what you pay the person picking the produce. Or, actually, not even that. Assuming that organic pickers don't get paid less than nonorganic pickers, the only diff is that it takes more manual work, therefore the price of organic produce is slightly higher than that of nonO produce. In reality, the price of produce that pays for labor is a very miniscule amount. In California, I pay $2.95 pound for "vine-grown" tomatoes. The picker gets about a nickel out of that. There's also the fact that the organic picker is exposed to fewer pesticides, which is good for his/her health. No?

But seriously, are we going to get into a pissing contest about the morality of consumption? There's a bottomless hole if ever there was one....and allows us to heap a lot of guilt on the mostly working class, which has no voice about what is produced and how it is produced.

I grant that a consumption strike would shut down any individual capitalistic corporation, but it wouldn't do a thing to change the system.

Joanna