MSOFT versus Open Source movement

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri May 4 14:58:12 PDT 2001

Ian Murray wrote:

> Where/when does thought leave off and language begin? Just what is thought prior to
> and independent of language?

I suggest you read Antonio Damasio, _The Feeling of What Happens: Body and Emotion in the Making of Consciusness_ (Harcourt, 1999). In any case, for the purposes of this thread it isn't necessary to make this claim -- I just threw it in for possible future purposes.

> What would a Zen Buddhist say about the 1st sentence both with and without the
> commas?

I never try to guess what a Zen Buddhist would say about anything, but it is interesting to play around with the commas! :-)

Damasio gives a neurological and psychological explanation of "thought prior to language," but I think that premise is also historically necessary -- it is implicit in any materialist view (marxist or non-marxist).

Carrol